Thursday 29 April 2010

Turkish Delight and Visiting Mosques on Easter in Istanbul

We had breakfast at the buffet that morning and then just lounged around until we had our small meeting with Paola. After the meeting, we just lounged around some more. I wasn't used to all of this feel time and it was very nice after running around everywhere in Rome and Ireland. For lunch we did the pasta bar where they cooked the ingredients we wanted. It was delicious. By that time, we were sailing into Istanbul so we went onto the boat deck and watched us sail in. Once we were docked, we got on our tour bus and set off into the city. Our first stop was a museum that used to be a mosque and before that it was a christian church. It is called the Hagia Sophia and it was huge! When it used to be a christian church they had religious paintings of Jesus Christ and Mary all over but when it was changed into a mosque, the religion Muslim allows no images so they painted over them. They are still finding new mosaics today while they are restoring the place! After touring the place for a while, we left to go to our next destination . . . . . the Grand Bazaar!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea that we were going to go here! I have always heard about it but who would have thought that I was going to see it. It is the oldest and biggest bazaars in the world and it certainly was! The entire thing is in a building with shops lining the walls. It was a maze in there. There were so many twists and turns and little alleys filled with shops and people. I swear each store owner came out of the store to stop us and show us what they are selling. It was insane! A lot of the men called out to Teresa, Mel, and I as we walked along the stores like pretty ladies. We even got called Spice Girls twice and Mel got told that she looks like Shakira. I bought a pair of earrings, a statue of the Hagia Sophia to add to my city, and my name written in calligraphy. Our next stop was the Spice Bazaar. Now, ever since I read the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe about the part where the White Queen gives Edmund Turkish Delight, I have always wanted to try it. Well . . . . . when we went to the Spice Bazaar, there was Turkish Delight everywhere!! We went into a shop where they let us eat as much Turkish Delight as we wanted while we sipped on apple tea (which tastes just like hot apple cider). I bought a small box of Turkish Delight, half of it pistachio and the other half rose petals. It is absolutely delicious! I had the box vacuumed sealed so I can bring it home. I am not opening it until I get home in the States so I can have the family try some. It is just so good. After I bought my Turkish Delight, we walked around the Bazaar a little bit. There were mounds upon mounds of spices and Turkish Delight everywhere as well as cheese and meat. Back on the boat we just relaxed and hung out. Teresa went to go write in her journal and Mel and I went out on deck and played some cards. It was a good way to end the evening.

We woke up the next morning and headed back to the charter bus to finish our tour of Istanbul. We went to the Blue Mosque first that day. The reason it is called the Blue Mosque is because of all of the blue tiles that cover its interior. We had to take our shoes off before we went into the mosque and make sure we covered our shoulders and knees that day in respect for their religion. As we were touring the place, it felt weird to be in a mosque on Easter. Our next stop was the Topkapi Palace, the official residence of the Ottoman Sultans for about 400 years. The entire place was decorated with tiles on the inside of the buildings and sometimes the outside as well. We saw the gifts that were given over the years to the Sultan, the greeting room, the building were the state meetings were held, and the 7th biggest diamond in the world. There were gardens everywhere and four courtyards in the entire palace. We stayed there for a while and enjoyed the sun that was shining and the flowers blooming. After the palace, we went to a store that gave us a demonstration of the different hand woven carpets while we sipped on apple tea. They were absolutely beautiful carpets and rugs and I wanted to buy one very badly. But there were two reasons why I couldn't: one, they were extremely expensive and there was no way I could afford even the smallest one and two, my suitcase was packed full, I wouldn't be able to get it back home. That was the end of our tour in Istanbul and it was off to the island of Mykonos. After we left the port, we had a while before we had to get off the boat again. The ship made a stop at Athens to drop off the Greek people who only did a 3-day cruise and then set off to Mykonos. We sunbathed for a little bit and at 5:30, Teresa and I went to the Metropolitan Lounge and learned how to Salsa dance. I must say that my salsa dancing skills really stink. We had a cocktail party hosted by Contiki and then dinner as a group afterwards. The boys and Beth had been drinking all day long and they came drunk to dinner that night. Let's say that it was a very interesting evening that night at dinner but it was certainly funny. After dinner we went to the Metropolitan Lounge to watch the show. It was songs from Broadway musicals and it was alright. All I would have to say is that I'm glad that these people are not going on Broadway.

No comments:

Post a Comment